Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun structure has 5 senses
- structure, construction - a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
--1 is a kind of artifact, artefact
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
| ||airdock, hangar, repair shed; altar; arcade, colonnade; arch; area; balcony; balcony; bascule; boarding; body; bridge, span; building, edifice; building complex, complex; catchment; coil, spiral, volute, whorl, helix; colonnade; column, pillar; corner, quoin; cross; deathtrap; defensive structure, defense, defence; door; entablature; erection; establishment; floor, level, storey, story; fountain; house of cards, cardhouse, card-house, cardcastle; housing, lodging, living accommodations; hull; jungle gym; lamination; landing, landing place; lookout, observation tower, lookout station, observatory; masonry; memorial, monument; mound, hill; obstruction, obstructor, obstructer, impediment, impedimenta; partition, divider; platform, weapons platform; porch; post and lintel; prefab; projection; public works; set-back, setoff, offset; shelter; shoebox; signboard, sign; stadium, bowl, arena, sports stadium; superstructure; supporting structure; tower; transept; trestlework; vaulting; ways, shipway, slipway; wellhead; wind tunnel; balance, equilibrium, equipoise, counterbalance|
- structure - the manner of construction of something and the arrangement of its parts; "artists must study the structure of the human body"; "the structure of the benzene molecule"
--2 is a kind of constitution, composition, makeup
--2 has particulars:
- structure - the complex composition of knowledge as elements and their combinations; "his lectures have no structure"
--3 is a kind of cognition, knowledge, noesis
--3 has particulars:
| ||arrangement, organization, organisation, system; form, shape, pattern; syntax, sentence structure, phrase structure; morphology, sound structure, syllable structure, word structure|
- structure, anatomical structure, complex body part, bodily structure, body structure - a particular complex anatomical structure; "he has good bone structure"
--4 is a kind of body part
--4 has particulars:
| ||layer; apodeme; calyculus, caliculus, calycle; tooth; pad; gill slit, branchial cleft, gill cleft; gill arch, branchial arch, gill bar; peristome; syrinx; bulb; carina; cauda; chiasma, chiasm, decussation; cingulum; concha; filament, filum; germ; infundibulum; interstice; landmark; limbus; rib; blade; radicle; plexus, rete; tube, tube-shaped structure; passage, passageway; fundus; funiculus; head; cavity, bodily cavity, cavum; root, tooth root; capsule; uvea; membranous labyrinth; bony labyrinth, osseous labyrinth; glans; alveolar bed; valve; vascular structure; lacrimal apparatus; cytoskeleton; nucleolus organizer, nucleolus organiser, nucleolar organizer, nucleolar organiser; centromere, kinetochore; aster; neural structure; fold, plica; gyrus, convolution; cartilaginous structure; ball; plate; horny structure, unguis; skeletal structure; costa; head; bridge; rotator cuff; cornu; corona; receptor; zone, zona|
- social organization, social organisation, social structure, social system, structure - the people in a society considered as a system organized by a characteristic pattern of relationships; "the social organization of England and America is very different"; "sociologists have studied the changing structure of the family"
--5 is a kind of system, scheme
--5 is a member of society
--5 has members: political system, form of government
--5 has particulars: