Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun construction has 7 senses
- construction, building - the act of constructing or building something; "during the construction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby was the building of boats"
--1 is a kind of creating from raw materials
--1 has particulars:
- construction, building - the commercial activity involved in constructing buildings; "their main business is home construction"; "workers in the building trades"
--2 is a kind of commercial enterprise, business enterprise, business
--2 has parts:
--2 has particulars: jerry-building
- structure, construction - a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity; "the structure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore her hair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"
--3 is a kind of artifact, artefact
--3 has parts:
--3 has particulars:
| ||airdock, hangar, repair shed; altar; arcade, colonnade; arch; area; balcony; balcony; bascule; boarding; body; bridge, span; building, edifice; building complex, complex; catchment; coil, spiral, volute, whorl, helix; colonnade; column, pillar; corner, quoin; cross; deathtrap; defensive structure, defense, defence; door; entablature; erection; establishment; floor, level, storey, story; fountain; house of cards, cardhouse, card-house, cardcastle; housing, lodging, living accommodations; hull; jungle gym; lamination; landing, landing place; lookout, observation tower, lookout station, observatory; masonry; memorial, monument; mound, hill; obstruction, obstructor, obstructer, impediment, impedimenta; partition, divider; platform, weapons platform; porch; post and lintel; prefab; projection; public works; set-back, setoff, offset; shelter; shoebox; signboard, sign; stadium, bowl, arena, sports stadium; superstructure; supporting structure; tower; transept; trestlework; vaulting; ways, shipway, slipway; wellhead; wind tunnel; balance, equilibrium, equipoise, counterbalance|
- construction, grammatical construction, expression - a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
--4 is a kind of constituent, grammatical constituent
--4 has particulars:
- construction, mental synthesis - the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideas into a congruous object of thought
--5 is a kind of thinking, thought, cerebration, intellection, mentation
--5 has particulars: crystallization; gestation
- construction, twist - an interpretation of a text or action; "they put an unsympathetic construction on his conduct"
--6 is a kind of interpretation
- construction - drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part of solving a problem or proving a theorem; "the assignment was to make a construction that could be used in proving the Pythagorean theorem"
--7 is a kind of mathematical process, mathematical operation, operation
--7 has particulars: quadrature