Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun foundation has 7 senses
- foundation - the basis on which something is grounded; "there is little foundation for his objections"
--1 is a kind of relation
--1 has particulars: footing, basis, ground; grass roots
- foundation - an institution supported by an endowment
--2 is a kind of financial institution, financial organization, financial organisation
--2 has particulars: charity
- basis, base, foundation, fundament, groundwork, cornerstone - the fundamental assumptions from which something is begun or developed or calculated or explained; "the whole argument rested on a basis of conjecture"
--3 is a kind of assumption, supposition, supposal
--3 is a part of explanation
--3 has particulars: meat and potatoes
- foundation, base, fundament, foot, groundwork, substructure, understructure - lowest support of a structure; "it was built on a base of solid rock"; "he stood at the foot of the tower"
--4 is a kind of support
--4 is a part of structure, construction
--4 has particulars: bed; raft foundation
- foundation, grounding - education or instruction in the fundamentals of a field of knowledge; "he lacks the foundation necessary for advanced study"; "a good grounding in mathematics"
--5 is a kind of education
- foundation garment, foundation - a woman's undergarment worn to give shape to the contours of the body
--6 is a kind of undergarment
--6 has particulars: corset, girdle, stays; roll-on
- initiation, founding, foundation, institution, origination, creation, innovation, introduction, instauration - the act of starting something for the first time; introducing something new; "she looked forward to her initiation as an adult"; "the foundation of a new scientific society"; "he regards the fork as a modern introduction"
--7 is a kind of beginning, start, commencement
--7 has particulars: authorship, paternity