Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun defense has 11 senses
- defense, defence, defending team - (sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring; "his teams are always good on defense"
--1 is a kind of team, squad
Antonyms: offense, offence
- defense, defence, defensive measure - military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies; "they died in the defense of Stalingrad"; "they were developed for the defense program"
--2 is a kind of military action, action
--2 has particulars:
| ||umbrella; air defense; stand; hasty defense, hasty defence; deliberate defense, deliberate defence; biological defense, biological defence, biodefense, biodefence; chemical defense, chemical defence; mining, minelaying; biological warfare defense, biological warfare defence, BW defense, BW defence|
- defense, defence, defense team, defense lawyers - the defendant and his legal advisors collectively; "the defense called for a mistrial"
--3 is a kind of collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- defense, defence - protection from harm; "sanitation is the best defense against disease"
--4 is a kind of protection
- defensive structure, defense, defence - a structure used for defense; "the artillery battered down the defenses"
--5 is a kind of structure, construction
--5 has particulars:
- refutation, defense, defence - the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions; "his refutation of the charges was short and persuasive"; "in defense he said the other man started it"
--6 is a kind of answer
--6 has particulars: confutation; rebuttal
- defense, defence, vindication - the justification for some act or belief; "he offered a persuasive defense of the theory"
--7 is a kind of justification
--7 has particulars:
- defense, defence, denial, demurrer - a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him; "he gave evidence for the defense"
--8 is a kind of due process, due process of law
--8 is a part of trial
Antonyms: prosecution, criminal prosecution
--8 has particulars: entrapment
- defense, defence, defense force, defence force - an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack; "he joined the defense against invasion"
--9 is a kind of organization, organisation
--9 has particulars: bastion
- Department of Defense, Defense Department, United States Department of Defense, Defense, DoD - the federal department responsible for safeguarding national security of the UnitedStates; created in 1947
--10 is a kind of executive department
--10 has parts:
| ||Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, DARPA; Department of Defense Laboratory System, LABLINK; United States Navy, US Navy, USN; United States Air Force, U. S. Air Force, US Air Force, USAF; Defense Intelligence Agency, DIA; Defense Logistics Agency; Defense Technical Information Center, DTIC; National Reconnaissance Office, NRO; National Security Agency, NSA; United States Army, US Army, U. S. Army, USA; Ballistic Missile Defense Organization, BMDO; Defense Information Systems Agency, DISA; National Imagery and Mapping Agency, NIMA; Casualty Care Research Center, CCRC|
- defense mechanism, defense reaction, defence mechanism, defence reaction, defense, defence - (psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
--11 is a kind of psychoanalytic process; process, unconscious process
--11 has particulars: