Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun shelter has 5 senses
- shelter - a structure that provides privacy and protection from danger
--1 is a kind of structure, construction
--1 has particulars:
| ||cookhouse; dugout; fallout shelter; haven, oasis; hovel, hut, hutch, shack, shanty; hut, army hut, field hut; loft, pigeon loft; mantelet, mantlet; refuge, sanctuary, asylum; storm cellar, cyclone cellar, tornado cellar; tent, collapsible shelter|
- shelter - protective covering that provides protection from the weather
--2 is a kind of protective covering, protective cover, protection
--2 has particulars:
- protection, shelter - the condition of being protected; "they were huddled together for protection"; "he enjoyed a sense of peace and protection in his new home"
--3 is a kind of security
--3 has particulars: indemnity, insurance; radioprotection
- tax shelter, shelter - a way of organizing business to reduce the taxes it must pay on current earnings
--4 is a kind of decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down
- shelter - temporary housing for homeless or displaced persons
--5 is a kind of housing, lodging, living accommodations
--5 has particulars: camp, refugee camp