Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Adverbial part has 1 sense
- partially, partly, part - in part; in some degree; not wholly; "I felt partly to blame"; "He was partially paralyzed"
Noun part has 12 senses
- part, portion, component part, component - something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"
--1 is a kind of relation
--1 is a part of meronymy, part to whole relation
--1 has particulars:
| ||language unit, linguistic unit; item, point; basis, base; detail, particular, item; unit; member; substance; remainder, balance, residual, residue, residuum, rest; subpart|
- region, part - the extended spatial location of something; "the farming regions of France"; "religions in all parts of the world"; "regions of outer space"
--2 is a kind of location
--2 has particulars:
| ||atmosphere, air; biosphere; depth; interplanetary space; interstellar space; heliosphere; intergalactic space; deep space; aerospace; zone; belt; bottom; county; distance; eden, paradise, nirvana, heaven, promised land, Shangri-la; extremity; D-layer, D region; Appleton layer, F layer, F region; Heaviside layer, Kennelly-Heaviside layer, E layer, E region; hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno; inside, interior; ionosphere; layer; outside, exterior; radius; side; air; vacuum, vacuity; top; zodiac; sign of the zodiac, star sign, sign, mansion, house, planetary house; Witwatersrand, Rand, Reef; black hole; mare, maria|
- part - so far as concerns the actor specified; "it requires vigilance on our part" or "they resisted every effort on his part";
--3 is a kind of concern
- part, portion - something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
--4 is a kind of object, physical object
--4 is a part of whole, whole thing, unit
--4 has particulars:
- part, section, division - one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole; "the written part of the exam"; "the finance section of the company"; "the BBC's engineering division"
--5 is a kind of concept, conception, construct
--5 is a part of whole
--5 has particulars:
- function, office, part, role - the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
--6 is a kind of duty
--6 has particulars:
- part, piece - a portion of a natural object; "they analyzed the river into three parts"; "he needed a piece of granite"
--7 is a kind of thing
--7 is a part of unit, building block
--7 has particulars:
- character, role, theatrical role, part, persona - an actor's portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
--8 is a kind of portrayal, characterization, enactment, personation
--8 has particulars:
- share, portion, part, percentage - assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
--9 is a kind of assets
--9 is a part of
--9 has particulars:
- contribution, part, share - any one of a number of individual efforts in a common endeavor; "I am proud of my contribution to the team's success"; "they all did their share of the work"
--10 is a kind of attempt, effort, endeavor, endeavour, try
--10 has particulars: end
- part, voice - the melody carried by a particular voice or instrument in polyphonic music; "he tried to sing the tenor part"
--11 is a kind of tune, melody, air, strain, melodic line, line, melodic phrase
--11 has particulars:
- part - a line where the hair is parted; "his part was right in the middle"
--12 is a kind of line
--12 is a part of hair
Verb part has 5 senses
- separate, part, split - go one's own away; move apart; "The friends separated after the party"
--1 is one way to move
- separate, part, split up, split, break, break up - discontinue an association or relation; go different ways; "The business partners broke over a tax question"; "The couple separated after 25 years of marriage"; "My friend and I split up"
- depart, part, start, start out, set forth, set off, set out, take off - leave; "The family took off for Florida"
--3 is one way to leave, go forth, go away
Somebody ----s PP
- separate, divide, part - come apart; "The two pieces that we had glued separated"
--4 is one way to change
- separate, disunite, divide, part - force, take, or pull apart; "He separated the fighting children"; "Moses parted the Red Sea"
--5 is one way to move, displace
They part their hair