Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun position has 16 senses
- position, place - the particular portion of space occupied by a physical object; "he put the lamp back in its place"
--1 is a kind of point
--1 has particulars:
- military position, position - a point occupied by troops for tactical reasons
--2 is a kind of point
--2 has particulars: ground; line
- position, view, perspective - a way of regarding situations or topics etc.; "consider what follows from the positivist view"
--3 is a kind of orientation
--3 has particulars:
- position, posture, attitude - position or arrangement of the body and its limbs; "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
--4 is a kind of bodily property
--4 has particulars:
- status, position - the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society; "he had the status of a minor"; "the novel attained the status of a classic"; "atheists do not enjoy a favorable position in American life"
--5 is a kind of state
--5 has particulars:
| ||face; election; equality, equivalence, equation, par; social station, social status, social rank, rank; standing; high status; high ground; high profile; holy order, order; low status; legal status; bastardy, illegitimacy, bar sinister; command; nationality; footing, terms; retirement; rank; caste; dignity; nobility, noblesse; ordination; pedestal; leadership; slot; toehold|
- position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation - a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
--6 is a kind of occupation, business, job, line of work, line
--6 has particulars:
| ||academicianship; accountantship; admiralty; ambassadorship; apostleship; apprenticeship; attorneyship; bailiffship; bishopry; cadetship; caliphate; captainship, captaincy; cardinalship; chairmanship; chancellorship; chaplaincy, chaplainship; chieftaincy, chieftainship; clerkship; commandership, commandery; comptrollership; consulship; controllership; councillorship, councilorship; counselorship, counsellorship; curacy; curatorship; custodianship; deanship, deanery; directorship; discipleship; editorship; eldership; emirate; fatherhood; fatherhood; foremanship; generalship; governorship; headship; headship; hot seat; incumbency; inspectorship; instructorship; internship; judgship, judgeship, judicature; khanate; lectureship; legation, legateship; legislatorship; librarianship; lieutenancy; magistracy, magistrature; managership; manhood; marshalship; mastership; mayoralty; messiahship; moderatorship; overlordship; pastorship, pastorate; peasanthood; praetorship; precentorship; preceptorship; prefecture; prelacy, prelature; premiership; presidency, presidentship; primateship; principalship; priorship; proconsulship, proconsulate; proctorship; professorship, chair; protectorship; public office; receivership; regency; residency; rulership; sainthood; secretaryship; senatorship; sinecure; solicitorship; speakership; stewardship; studentship; teachership; thaneship; throne; treasurership; tribuneship; viceroyship; viziership; wardenship; wardership; womanhood|
- position, spatial relation - the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated; "the position of the hands on the clock"; "he specified the spatial relations of every piece of furniture on the stage"
--7 is a kind of relation
--7 has particulars:
| ||occlusion; tilt, list, inclination, lean, leaning; gradient, slope; placement, arrangement; point of view; coincidence; dead center, dead centre; centrality; marginality; anteriority; posteriority; outwardness, externality; inwardness; malposition, misplacement; northernness; southernness; horizontality; verticality, verticalness, erectness, uprightness; slot; room, way, elbow room; direction; angular position|
- position - the appropriate or customary location; "the cars were in position"
--8 is a kind of point
- position - (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player; "what position does he play?"
--9 is a kind of role
--9 has particulars:
| ||goalkeeper, goalie, goaltender, netkeeper; pitcher, mound; catcher, plate; first base, first; second base, second; shortstop, short; third base, third; left field; center field; right field; forward; center; guard; back; lineman; mid-off; mid-on; center; cleanup, cleanup position, cleanup spot|
- placement, location, locating, position, positioning, emplacement - the act of putting something in a certain place or location
--10 is a kind of activity
--10 has particulars:
- situation, position - a condition or position in which you find yourself; "the unpleasant situation (or position) of having to choose between two evils"; "found herself in a very fortunate situation"
--11 is a kind of condition, status
--11 has particulars: place, shoes; poverty trap; soup; stymie
- place, position - an item on a list or in a sequence; "in the second place"; "moved from third to fifth position"
--12 is a kind of item, point
--12 has particulars: postposition; preposition
- position, stance, posture - a rationalized mental attitude
--13 is a kind of attitude, mental attitude
--13 has particulars:
- side, position - an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute; "there are two sides to every question"
--14 is a kind of opinion, view
- stead, position, place, lieu - the function or position properly or customarily occupied or served by another; "can you go in my stead?"; "took his place"; "in lieu of"
--15 is a kind of function, office, part, role
--15 has particulars: behalf
- position - the act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom
--16 is a kind of assumption
Verb position has 2 senses
- position - cause to be in an appropriate place, state, or relation
--1 is one way to put, set, place, pose, position, lay
Somebody ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s something
Somebody ----s somebody PP
Somebody ----s something PP
- put, set, place, pose, position, lay - put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
--2 is one way to move, displace
They position the bags on the table