Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective forte has 1 sense
- forte, loud - used chiefly as a direction or description in music; "the forte passages in the composition"
Antonyms: piano, soft, pianissimo, pianissimo assai
Adverbial forte has 1 sense
- forte, loudly - used as a direction in music; to be played relatively loudly
Antonyms: piano, softly
Derived from adjective forte1
Noun forte has 3 senses
- forte, strong suit, long suit, metier, specialty, speciality, strong point, strength - an asset of special worth or utility; "cooking is his forte"
--1 is a kind of asset, plus
--1 has particulars: green thumb, green fingers
- forte, fortissimo - (music) with great loudness
--2 is a kind of volume, loudness, intensity
- forte - the stronger part of a sword blade between the hilt and the foible
--3 is a kind of part, portion
--3 is a part of sword, blade, brand, steel