Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective constituent has 1 sense
- constituent, constitutional, constitutive, organic - constitutional in the structure of something (especially your physical makeup)
Antonyms: inessential, unessential (indirect, via essential)
Noun constituent has 4 senses
- component, constituent, element - an artifact that is one of the individual parts of which a composite entity is made up; especially a part that can be separated from or attached to a system; "spare components for cars"; "a component or constituent element of a system"
--1 is a kind of part, portion
--1 has particulars:
| ||accessory, appurtenance, supplement, add-on; addition, add-on, improver; audio; auto part, car part; crystal; hardware, computer hardware; heating element; ingredient; landside; makings; module; pixel, pel, picture element; retrofit; spare part, spare; spark gap|
- constituent - a member of a constituency; a citizen who is represented in a government by officials for whom he or she votes; "needs continued support by constituents to be re-elected"
--2 is a kind of voter, elector
--2 is a member of constituency
- constituent, grammatical constituent - (grammar) a word or phrase or clause forming part of a larger grammatical construction
--3 is a kind of syntagma, syntagm
--3 is a part of sentence
--3 has particulars:
- component, constituent, element, factor, ingredient - an abstract part of something; "jealousy was a component of his character"; "two constituents of a musical composition are melody and harmony"; "the grammatical elements of a sentence"; "a key factor in her success"; "humor: an effective ingredient of a speech"
--4 is a kind of part, section, division
--4 has particulars: point; be-all and end-all, be all and end all