Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun butt has 8 senses
- butt, butt end - thick end of the handle
--1 is a kind of stock
--1 has particulars: rifle butt
- butt, goat, laughingstock, stooge - a victim of ridicule or pranks
--2 is a kind of victim, dupe
--2 has particulars: April fool
- buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass - the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
--3 is a kind of body part
--3 is a part of torso, trunk, body
- target, butt - sports equipment consisting of an object set up for a marksman or archer to aim at
--4 is a kind of sports equipment, sporting goods
--4 has particulars: clay pigeon
- cigarette, cigaret, coffin nail, butt, fag - finely ground tobacco wrapped in paper; for smoking
--5 is a kind of roll of tobacco, smoke
--5 has parts: cigarette butt
--5 has particulars:
- butt joint, butt - a joint made by fastening ends together without overlapping
--6 is a kind of joint
--6 has particulars: butt weld, butt-weld; fish joint
- butt - a large cask (especially one holding a volume equivalent to 2 hogsheads or 126 gallons)
--7 is a kind of barrel, cask
--7 has particulars: water butt
- butt, stub - the small unused part of something (especially the end of a cigarette that is left after smoking)
--8 is a kind of part, portion
--8 has particulars: cigar butt; cigarette butt; roach
Verb butt has 3 senses
- border, adjoin, edge, abut, march, butt, butt against, butt on - lie adjacent to another or share a boundary; "Canada adjoins the U.S."; "England marches with Scotland"
--1 is one way to touch, adjoin, meet, contact
Something ----s something
- butt, bunt - to strike, thrust or shove against, often with head or horns; "He butted his sister out of the way"
--2 is one way to strike
The fighter managed to butt his opponent
- butt - place end to end without overlapping; "The frames must be butted at the joints"
--3 is one way to put, set, place, pose, position, lay
Somebody ----s something