Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun backup has 5 senses
- backup - an accumulation caused by clogging or a stoppage; "a traffic backup on the main street"; "he discovered a backup in the toilet"
--1 is a kind of accretion, accumulation
- stand-in, substitute, relief, reliever, backup, backup man, fill-in - someone who takes the place of another (as when things get dangerous or difficult); "the star had a stand-in for dangerous scenes"; "we need extra employees for summer fill-ins"
--2 is a kind of peer, equal, match, compeer
--2 has particulars:
- accompaniment, musical accompaniment, backup, support - a subordinate musical part; provides background for more important parts
--3 is a kind of part, voice
--3 has particulars: descant, discant; vamp
- backup, computer backup - (computer science) a copy of a file or directory on a separate storage device; "he made a backup in case the original was accidentally damaged or erased"
--4 is a kind of duplicate, duplication
- backing, backup, championship, patronage - the act of providing approval and support; "his vigorous backing of the conservatives got him in trouble with progressives"
--5 is a kind of blessing, approval, approving