Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun portion has 6 senses
- part, portion, component part, component - something determined in relation to something that includes it; "he wanted to feel a part of something bigger than himself"; "I read a portion of the manuscript"; "the smaller component is hard to reach"
--1 is a kind of relation
--1 is a part of meronymy, part to whole relation
--1 has particulars:
| ||language unit, linguistic unit; item, point; basis, base; detail, particular, item; unit; member; substance; remainder, balance, residual, residue, residuum, rest; subpart|
- part, portion - something less than the whole of a human artifact; "the rear part of the house"; "glue the two parts together"
--2 is a kind of object, physical object
--2 is a part of whole, whole thing, unit
--2 has particulars:
- parcel, portion, share - the result of parcelling out or sharing; "death gets more than its share of attention from theologicans"
--3 is a kind of allotment, apportionment, apportioning, allocation, parceling, parcelling, assignation
- share, portion, part, percentage - assets belonging to or due to or contributed by an individual person or group; "he wanted his share in cash"
--4 is a kind of assets
--4 is a part of
--4 has particulars:
- fortune, destiny, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion - your overall circumstances or condition in life (including everything that happens to you); "whatever my fortune may be"; "deserved a better fate"; "has a happy lot"; "the luck of the Irish"; "a victim of circumstances"; "success that was her portion"
--5 is a kind of condition
--5 has particulars:
- helping, portion, serving - an individual quantity of food or drink taken as part of a meal; "the helpings were all small"; "his portion was larger than hers"; "there's enough for two servings each"
--6 is a kind of small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
--6 is a part of meal, repast
--6 has parts: taste, mouthful
--6 has particulars:
Verb portion has 1 sense
- assign, allot, portion - give out or allot; "We were assigned new uniforms"
--1 is one way to distribute, administer, mete out, deal, parcel out, lot, dispense, shell out, deal out, dish out, allot, dole out
Somebody ----s somebody something
Somebody ----s something to somebody