Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun interest has 7 senses
- interest, involvement - a sense of concern with and curiosity about someone or something; "an interest in music"
--1 is a kind of curiosity, wonder
--1 has particulars: enthusiasm; concern
- interest, interestingness - the power of attracting or holding one's interest (because it is unusual or exciting etc.); "they said nothing of great interest"; "primary colors can add interest to a room"
--2 is a kind of power, powerfulness
--2 has particulars:
- sake, interest - a reason for wanting something done; "for your sake"; "died for the sake of his country"; "in the interest of safety"; "in the common interest"
--3 is a kind of benefit, welfare
--3 has particulars: behalf
- interest - a fixed charge for borrowing money; usually a percentage of the amount borrowed; "how much interest do you pay on your mortgage?"
--4 is a kind of fixed charge, fixed cost, fixed costs
--4 has particulars: compound interest; simple interest
- pastime, interest, pursuit - a diversion that occupies one's time and thoughts (usually pleasantly); "sailing is her favorite pastime"; "his main pastime is gambling"; "he counts reading among his interests"; "they criticized the boy for his limited pursuits"
--5 is a kind of diversion, recreation
--5 has particulars:
- interest, stake - (law) a right or legal share of something; a financial involvement with something; "they have interests all over the world"; "a stake in the company's future"
--6 is a kind of share, portion, part, percentage
--6 has particulars:
- interest, interest group - (usually plural) a social group whose members control some field of activity and who have common aims; "the iron interests stepped up production"
--7 is a kind of social group
--7 has particulars: special interest; vested interest
Verb interest has 3 senses
- interest - excite the curiosity of; engage the interest of
--1 is one way to arouse, elicit, enkindle, kindle, evoke, fire, raise, provoke
Antonyms: bore, tire
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- concern, interest, occupy, worry - be on the mind of; "I worry about the second Germanic consonant"
The bad news will interest him
- matter to, interest - be of importance or consequence; "This matters to me!"
--3 is one way to refer, pertain, relate, concern, come to, bear on, touch, touch on
Something ----s somebody
Something ----s something