Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun unit has 6 senses
- unit of measurement, unit - any division of quantity accepted as a standard of measurement or exchange; "the dollar is the United States unit of currency"; "a unit of wheat is a bushel"; "change per unit volume"
--1 is a kind of definite quantity
--1 has particulars:
| ||measuring unit, measuring block; denier; diopter; Karat, carat; absorption unit; acceleration unit; angular unit; area unit, square measure; volume unit, capacity unit, capacity measure, cubage unit, cubic measure, cubic content unit, displacement unit, cubature unit; computer memory unit; electromagnetic unit, emu; explosive unit; force unit; metric unit, metric; miles per gallon; monetary unit; megaflop, MFLOP, million floating point operations per second; teraflop, trillion floating point operations per second; MIPS, million instructions per second; pain unit; pressure unit; printing unit; sound unit; telephone unit; temperature unit; weight unit, weight; mass unit; unit of viscosity; work unit, heat unit, energy unit; langley; Brinell number; point; bit; megabit; electrostatic unit|
- unit - an individual or group or structure or other entity regarded as a structural or functional constituent of a whole; "the reduced the number of units and installations"; "the word is a basic linguistic unit"
--2 is a kind of part, portion, component part, component
- unit, social unit - an organization regarded as part of a larger social group; "the coach said the offensive unit did a good job"; "after the battle the soldier had trouble rejoining his unit"
--3 is a kind of organization, organisation
--3 has particulars:
| ||klavern; administrative unit, administrative body; company; family, household, house, home, menage; general delivery, poste restante; instrumentality; intensive care unit, ICU; member; military unit, military force, military group, force; task force; team, squad; den; gang, crew, work party; combination; crew; troop, scout troop, scout group; outfit; fifth column, Trojan horse; political unit; side; working group, working party|
- unit - a single undivided whole; "an idea is not a unit that can be moved from one brain to another"
--4 is a kind of whole
--4 has particulars: one
- unit, building block - a single undivided natural thing occurring in the composition of something else; "units of nucleic acids"
--5 is a kind of thing
--5 has parts: part, piece
--5 has particulars:
- whole, whole thing, unit - an assemblage of parts that is regarded as a single entity; "how big is that part compared to the whole?"; "the team is a unit"
--6 is a kind of object, physical object
--6 has parts: part, portion; section, segment
--6 has particulars: