Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective stern has 3 senses
- austere, stern - of a stern or strict bearing or demeanor; forbidding in aspect; "an austere expression"; "a stern face"
Antonym: indulgent (indirect, via nonindulgent)
- grim, inexorable, relentless, stern, unappeasable, unforgiving, unrelenting - not to be placated or appeased or moved by entreaty; "grim determination"; "grim necessity"; "Russia's final hour, it seemed, approached with inexorable certainty"; "relentless persecution"; "the stern demands of parenthood"
Antonym: placable (indirect, via implacable)
- stern, strict, exacting - severe and unremitting in making demands; "an exacting instructor"; "a stern disciplinarian"; "strict standards"
Antonym: undemanding (indirect, via demanding)
Noun stern has 3 senses
- stern, after part, quarter, poop, tail - the rear part of a ship
--1 is a kind of rear, back
--1 is a part of ship
--1 has parts: escutcheon; skeg
- Stern, Isaac Stern - United States concert violinist (born in Russia in 1920)
--2 is a kind of violinist, fiddler
- buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass - the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
--3 is a kind of body part
--3 is a part of torso, trunk, body