Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective bum has 1 sense
- bum, cheap, cheesy, chintzy, crummy, punk, sleazy, tinny - of very poor quality
Antonym: superior (indirect, via inferior)
Noun bum has 4 senses
- rotter, dirty dog, rat, skunk, stinker, stinkpot, bum, puke, crumb, lowlife, scum bag, so-and-so, git - a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible; "only a rotter would do that"; "kill the rat"; "throw the bum out"; "you cowardly little pukes!"; "the British call a contemptible person a `git'"
--1 is a kind of unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- tramp, hobo, bum - a disreputable vagrant; "a homeless tramp"; "he tried to help the really down-and-out bums"
--2 is a kind of vagrant, drifter, floater, vagabond
--2 has particulars: dosser, street person
- idler, loafer, do-nothing, layabout, bum - person who does no work; "a lazy bum"
--3 is a kind of nonworker
--3 has particulars:
| ||clock watcher; couch potato; dallier, dillydallier, dilly-dallier, mope, lounger; dawdler, drone, laggard, lagger, trailer; daydreamer, woolgatherer; goldbrick, goof-off, ne'er-do-well, good-for-nothing, good-for-naught; lazybones; lie-abed, slugabed; loon; slacker, shirker; sluggard, slug; spiv; sunbather; trifler; whittler|
- buttocks, nates, arse, butt, backside, bum, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass - the fleshy part of the human body that you sit on; "he deserves a good kick in the butt"; "are you going to sit on your fanny and do nothing?"
--4 is a kind of body part
--4 is a part of torso, trunk, body
Verb bum has 2 senses
- mooch, bum, cadge, grub, sponge - ask for and get free; be a parasite
--1 is one way to obtain
Somebody ----s something
- bum, bum around, bum about, arse around, arse about, fuck off, loaf, frig around, waste one's time, lounge around, loll, loll around, lounge about - be lazy or idle; "Her son is just bumming around all day"
--2 is one way to idle, laze, slug, stagnate
Somebody ----s PP