Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun contact has 9 senses
- contact - close interaction; "they kept in daily contact"; "they claimed that they had been in contact with extraterrestrial beings"
--1 is a kind of interaction
--1 has particulars: brush; eye contact; placement
- contact - the state or condition of touching or of being in immediate proximity; "litmus paper turns red on contact with an acid"
--2 is a kind of connection, link, connectedness
--2 has particulars: osculation; tangency
- contact - the act of touching physically; "her fingers came in contact with the light switch"
--3 is a kind of touch, touching
--3 has particulars: rub, wipe; fair ball; snick; laying on
- contact, impinging, striking - the physical coming together of two or more things; "contact with the pier scraped paint from the hull"
--4 is a kind of happening, occurrence, natural event
--4 has particulars:
- contact, middleman - a person who is in a position to give you special assistance; "he used his business contacts to get an introduction to the governor"
--5 is a kind of representative
- liaison, link, contact, inter-group communication - a channel for communication between groups; "he provided a liaison with the guerrillas"
--6 is a kind of channel, communication channel, line
- contact, tangency - (electronics) a junction where things (as two electrical conductors) touch or are in physical contact; "they forget to solder the contacts"
--7 is a kind of junction, conjunction
--7 has particulars:
- contact, touch - a communicative interaction; "the pilot made contact with the base"; "he got in touch with his colleagues"
--8 is a kind of communication, communicating
- contact, contact lens - a thin curved glass or plastic lens designed to fit over the cornea in order to correct vision or to deliver medication
--9 is a kind of lens, lense, lens system
Verb contact has 2 senses
- reach, get through, get hold of, contact - be in or establish communication with; "Our advertisements reach millions"; "He never contacted his children after he emigrated to Australia"
--1 is one way to communicate, intercommunicate
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- touch, adjoin, meet, contact - be in direct physical contact with; make contact; "The two buildings touch"; "Their hands touched"; "The wire must not contact the metal cover"; "The surfaces contact at this point"
Something ----s something