Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun pose has 3 senses
- airs, pose - affected manners intended to impress others; "don't put on airs with me"
--1 is a kind of affectedness
- pose - a posture assumed by models for photographic or artistic purposes
--2 is a kind of position, posture, attitude
- affectation, mannerism, pose, affectedness - a deliberate pretense or exaggerated display
--3 is a kind of pretense, pretence, pretending, simulation, feigning
--3 has particulars: attitude; radical chic
Verb pose has 6 senses
- present, pose - introduce; "This poses an interesting question"
--1 is one way to constitute, represent, make up, comprise, be
Something ----s something
- model, pose, sit, posture - assume a posture as for artistic purposes; "We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often"
--2 is one way to expose, exhibit, display
- pose, impersonate, personate - pretend to be someone you are not; sometimes with fraudulent intentions; "She posed as the Czar's daughter"
--3 is one way to deceive, betray, lead astray
Somebody ----s somebody
=> Somebody ----s PP
- pose, posture - behave affectedly or unnaturally in order to impress others; "Don't pay any attention to him--he is always posing to impress his peers!"; "She postured and made a total fool of herself"
--4 is one way to behave, acquit, bear, deport, conduct, comport, carry
- put, set, place, pose, position, lay - put into a certain place or abstract location; "Put your things here"; "Set the tray down"; "Set the dogs on the scent of the missing children"; "Place emphasis on a certain point"
--5 is one way to move, displace
They pose the bags on the table
- perplex, vex, stick, get, puzzle, mystify, baffle, beat, pose, bewilder, flummox, stupefy, nonplus, gravel, amaze, dumbfound - be a mystery or bewildering to; "This beats me!"; "Got me--I don't know the answer!"; "a vexing problem"; "This question really stuck me"
--6 is one way to confuse, throw, fox, befuddle, fuddle, bedevil, confound, discombobulate
Something ----s somebody