Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective leaning has 2 senses
- atilt, canted, leaning, tilted, tipped - departing or being caused to depart from the true vertical or horizontal; "the leaning tower of Pisa"; "the headstones were tilted"
Antonym: horizontal (indirect, via vertical, inclined)
Antonyms: vertical, perpendicular (indirect, via inclined, horizontal)
- leaning - resting against a support
Antonyms: erect, vertical, upright (indirect, via unerect)
Noun leaning has 4 senses
- leaning, propensity, tendency - an inclination to do something; "he felt leanings toward frivolity"
--1 is a kind of inclination
- proclivity, propensity, leaning - a natural inclination; "he has a proclivity for exaggeration"
--2 is a kind of inclination, disposition, tendency
- tilt, list, inclination, lean, leaning - the property possessed by a line or surface that departs from the vertical; "the tower had a pronounced tilt"; "the ship developed a list to starboard"; "he walked with a heavy inclination to the right"
--3 is a kind of position, spatial relation
- leaning - the act of deviating from a vertical position
--4 is a kind of act, human action, human activity
Verb lean has 5 senses
- lean, tilt, tip, slant, angle - to incline or bend from a vertical position; "She leaned over the banister"
--1 is one way to bend, flex
Something is ----ing PP
Somebody ----s PP
- lean - cause to lean or incline; "He leaned his rifle against the wall"
--2 is one way to put, set, place, pose, position, lay
They lean their rifles on the cabinet
- tend, be given, lean, incline, run - have a tendency or disposition to do or be something; be inclined; "She tends to be nervous before her lectures"; "These dresses run small"; "He inclined to corpulence"
--3 is one way to be
Somebody ----s to INFINITIVE
- lean - rely on for support; "We can lean on this man"
--4 is one way to trust, swear, rely, bank
Somebody ----s somebody
Something ----s somebody
- list, lean - cause to lean to the side; "Erosion listed the old tree"
--5 is one way to move
Something ----s something