Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun chair has 4 senses
- chair - a seat for one person, with a support for the back; "he put his coat over the back of the chair and sat down"
--1 is a kind of seat
--1 has parts: back, backrest; leg
--1 has particulars:
- professorship, chair - the position of professor; "he was awarded an endowed chair in economics"
--2 is a kind of position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation
- president, chairman, chairwoman, chair, chairperson - the officer who presides at the meetings of an organization; "address your remarks to the chairperson"
--3 is a kind of presiding officer
--3 has particulars: Kalon Tripa; vice chairman
- electric chair, chair, death chair, hot seat - an instrument of execution by electrocution; resembles a chair; "the murderer was sentenced to die in the chair"
--4 is a kind of instrument of execution
Verb chair has 2 senses
- chair, chairman - act or preside as chair, as of an academic department in a university; "She chaired the department for many years"
--1 is one way to head, lead
Somebody ----s something
- moderate, chair, lead - preside over; "John moderated the discussion"
--2 is one way to hash out, discuss, talk over
Sam and Sue chair