Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun posture has 4 senses
- position, posture, attitude - position or arrangement of the body and its limbs; "he assumed an attitude of surrender"
--1 is a kind of bodily property
--1 has particulars:
- carriage, bearing, posture - characteristic way of bearing one's body; "stood with good posture"
--2 is a kind of bodily property
--2 has particulars:
- position, stance, posture - a rationalized mental attitude
--3 is a kind of attitude, mental attitude
--3 has particulars:
- military capability, military strength, strength, military posture, posture - capability in terms of personnel and materiel that affect the capacity to fight a war; "we faced an army of great strength"; "politicians have neglected our military posture"
--4 is a kind of capability, capableness
--4 has particulars: sea power; firepower
Verb posture has 2 senses
- pose, posture - behave affectedly or unnaturally in order to impress others; "Don't pay any attention to him--he is always posing to impress his peers!"; "She postured and made a total fool of herself"
--1 is one way to behave, acquit, bear, deport, conduct, comport, carry
- model, pose, sit, posture - assume a posture as for artistic purposes; "We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often"
--2 is one way to expose, exhibit, display