Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun expression has 9 senses
- expression, look, aspect, facial expression, face - the expression on a person's face; "a sad expression"; "a look of triumph"; "an angry face"
--1 is a kind of countenance, visage
--1 has particulars: leer; sparkle, spark, light
- expression, manifestation, reflection, reflexion - expression without words; "tears are an expression of grief"; "the pulse is a reflection of the heart's condition"
--2 is a kind of demonstration, demo
--2 has particulars:
- expression - the communication (in speech or writing) of your beliefs or opinions; "expressions of good will"; "he helped me find expression for my ideas"
--3 is a kind of communication, communicating
--3 has particulars:
- saying, expression, locution - a word or phrase that particular people use in particular situations; "pardon the expression"
--4 is a kind of speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication
--4 has particulars:
| ||Beatitude; logion; calque, loan translation; advice and consent; ambiguity; euphemism; dysphemism; shucks; tongue twister; anatomical reference, anatomical; southernism; motto, slogan, catchword, shibboleth; maxim, axiom; epigram, quip; proverb, adage, saw, byword; idiom, idiomatic expression, phrasal idiom, set phrase, phrase; agrapha; sumpsimus|
- formulation, expression - the style of expressing yourself; "he suggested a better formulation"; "his manner of expression showed how much he cared"
--5 is a kind of expressive style, style
--5 has particulars:
- formula, expression - a group of symbols that make a mathematical statement
--6 is a kind of mathematical statement
--6 has particulars: sentential function; primitive; exponential expression
- expression - (genetics) the process of expressing a gene
--7 is a kind of organic process, biological process
- construction, grammatical construction, expression - a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence and are considered as a single unit; "I concluded from his awkward constructions that he was a foreigner"
--8 is a kind of constituent, grammatical constituent
--8 has particulars:
- expression - the act of forcing something out by squeezing or pressing; "the expression of milk from her breast"
--9 is a kind of squeeze, squeezing