Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun failure has 7 senses
- failure - an act that fails; "his failure to pass the test"
--1 is a kind of nonaccomplishment, nonachievement
--1 has particulars:
- failure - an event that does not accomplish its intended purpose; "the surprise party was a complete failure"
--2 is a kind of happening, occurrence, natural event
--2 has particulars:
- failure - lack of success; "he felt that his entire life had been a failure"; "that year there was a crop failure"
--3 is a kind of fortune, destiny, fate, luck, lot, circumstances, portion
--3 has particulars: bankruptcy; bank failure; crop failure; dead duck
- failure, loser, nonstarter, unsuccessful person - a person with a record of failing; someone who loses consistently
--4 is a kind of unfortunate, unfortunate person
--4 has particulars:
- failure - an unexpected omission; "he resented my failure to return his call"; "the mechanic's failure to check the brakes"
--5 is a kind of omission, skip
--5 has particulars: disappointment, dashing hopes; breach; copout
- bankruptcy, failure - inability to discharge all your debts as they come due; "the company had to declare bankruptcy"; "fraudulent loans led to the failure of many banks"
--6 is a kind of insolvency
- failure - loss of ability to function normally; "kidney failure"
--7 is a kind of disorder, upset
--7 has particulars: heart failure, coronary failure; renal failure, kidney failure