Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun people has 4 senses
- people - (plural) any group of human beings (men or women or children) collectively; "old people"; "there were at least 200 people in the audience"
--1 is a kind of group, grouping
--1 is a member of
--1 has members:
--1 has particulars:
| ||age group, age bracket, cohort; ancients; baffled; blind; blood; brave; timid, cautious; business people, businesspeople; damned; dead; living; deaf; defeated, discomfited; disabled; doomed, lost; enemy; folk, common people; free, free people; homebound; homeless; initiate, enlightened; uninitiate; mentally retarded; network army; peanut gallery; pocket; retreated; sick; wounded, maimed; migration; class, social class, socio-economic class; blood group, blood type; nation, land, country, a people; populace, public, world; population; community; coevals, contemporaries, generation; clientele, patronage, business; rank and file; smart money; unconfessed; womankind; chosen people|
- citizenry, people - the body of citizens of a state or country; "the Spanish people"
--2 is a kind of group, grouping
--2 has members: citizen
--2 has particulars: electorate; governed
- multitude, masses, mass, hoi polloi, people - the common people generally; "separate the warriors from the mass"; "power to the people"
--3 is a kind of group, grouping
--3 has particulars: laity, temporalty; audience; following, followers
- people - members of a family line; "his people have been farmers for generations"; "are your people still alive?"
--4 is a kind of family, family line, folk, kinfolk, kinsfolk, sept, phratry
Verb people has 2 senses
- people, populate - fill with people or supply with inhabitants; "people a room"; "The government wanted to populate the remote area of the country"
--1 is one way to fill, fill up, make full
Somebody ----s something
- dwell, shack, reside, live, inhabit, people, populate, domicile, domiciliate - make one's home or live in; "She resides officially in Iceland"; "I live in a 200-year old house"; "These people inhabited all the islands that are now deserted"; "The plains are sparsely populated"
--2 is one way to be
Somebody ----s PP