Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun patronage has 5 senses
- backing, backup, championship, patronage - the act of providing approval and support; "his vigorous backing of the conservatives got him in trouble with progressives"
--1 is a kind of blessing, approval, approving
- clientele, patronage, business - customers collectively; "they have an upper class clientele"
--2 is a kind of people
- condescension, disdain, patronage - a communication that indicates lack of respect by patronizing the recipient
--3 is a kind of disparagement, depreciation, derogation
- patronage - (politics) granting favors or giving contracts or making appointments to office in return for political support
--4 is a kind of social control
--4 has particulars: nomenklatura
- trade, patronage - the business given to a commercial establishment by its customers; "even before noon there was a considerable patronage"
--5 is a kind of business
--5 has particulars: custom