Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun country has 5 senses
- country, state, land - the territory occupied by a nation; "he returned to the land of his birth"; "he visited several European countries"
--1 is a kind of administrative district, administrative division, territorial division
--1 has parts: domain, demesne, land; midland
--1 has members: department; state, province
--1 has particulars:
| ||banana republic; fatherland, homeland, motherland, mother country, country of origin, native land; buffer state, buffer country; kingdom; tax haven; European country, European nation; African country, African nation; Asian country, Asian nation; South American country, South American nation; North American country, North American nation; Antigua and Barbuda; Cape Verde, Republic of Cape Verde; Sri Lanka, Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, Ceylon; Comoros, Federal Islamic Republic of the Comoros; Cuba, Republic of Cuba; Haiti, Republic of Haiti; Dominican Republic; Jamaica; Barbados; Trinidad and Tobago, Republic of Trinidad and Tobago; Cyprus, Republic of Cyprus; Dominica, Commonwealth of Dominica; East Timor; Fiji, Republic of Fiji; Israel, State of Israel, Yisrael, Zion, Sion; Etruria; Australia, Commonwealth of Australia; Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia, TT; Marshall Islands, Republic of the Marshall Islands; Tuvalu; Kiribati, Republic of Kiribati; Nauru, Republic of Nauru; Papua New Guinea, Independent State of Papua New Guinea; Bahamas, Commonwealth of the Bahamas, Bahama Islands; sultanate; Burkina Faso, Upper Volta; Indonesia, Republic of Indonesia, Dutch East Indies; Grenada; Maldives, Republic of Maldives; Malta, Republic of Malta; Mauritius, Republic of Mauritius; New Zealand; Palau, Republic of Palau, TT; Philippines, Republic of the Philippines; Saint Kitts and Nevis, Federation of Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Christopher-Nevis, St. Christopher-Nevis, St. Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia, St. Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, St. Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa, Independent State of Samoa, Western Samoa, Samoa i Sisifo; Sao Tome and Principe, Democratic Republic of Sao Tome and Principe, Sao Tome e Principe, Sao Thome e Principe, St. Thomas and Principe; Seychelles, Republic of Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Rus; Soviet Union, Russia, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, USSR; Russia, Russian Federation; Ukraine, Ukrayina; Turkmenistan, Turkomen, Turkmen, Turkmenia; Tonga, Kingdom of Tonga, Friendly Islands; Turkey, Republic of Turkey; Vanuatu, Republic of Vanuatu, New Hebrides|
- state, nation, country, land, commonwealth, res publica, body politic - a politically organized body of people under a single government; "the state has elected a new president"; "African nations"; "students who had come to the nation's capitol"; "the country's largest manufacturer"; "an industrialized land"
--2 is a kind of political unit
--2 has parts: estate, estate of the realm
--2 has particulars:
- nation, land, country, a people - the people who live in a nation or country; "a statement that sums up the nation's mood"; "the news was announced to the nation"; "the whole country worshipped him"
--3 is a kind of people
--3 has members: national, subject
--3 has particulars:
| ||Dutch, Dutch people; British, British people, the British, Brits; English, English people, the English; Irish, Irish people, the Irish; French, French people; Spanish, Spanish people; Swiss, Swiss people, the Swiss|
- country, rural area - an area outside of cities and towns; "his poetry celebrated the slower pace of life in the country"
--4 is a kind of geographical area, geographic area, geographical region, geographic region
--4 has parts: pasture, pastureland, grazing land, lea, ley
--4 has particulars:
- area, country - a particular geographical region of indefinite boundary (usually serving some special purpose or distinguished by its people or culture or geography); "it was a mountainous area"; "Bible country"
--5 is a kind of region
--5 has particulars:
| ||arena; bed ground, bed-ground, bedground; broadcast area; center, centre, middle, heart, eye; corner; corner; disaster area; haunt, hangout, resort, repair, stamping ground; hearth, fireside; hunting ground; no-go area; no man's land; quadrant; quadrant; rain shadow; staging area; open, clear; free port, free zone; anchorage, anchorage ground; resort area, playground, vacation spot; block, city block; retreat; safety, refuge; danger; scene; section, plane section; section; shrubbery; space; tank farm; winner's circle; Bermuda Triangle|