Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective defeated has 2 senses
- defeated - beaten or overcome; not victorious; "the defeated enemy"
Antonyms: undefeated, triumphant, victorious, unbeaten, unconquered, unvanquished, unbowed
- defeated, disappointed, discomfited, foiled, frustrated, thwarted - disappointingly unsuccessful; "disappointed expectations and thwarted ambitions"; "their foiled attempt to capture Calais"; "many frustrated poets end as pipe-smoking teachers"; "his best efforts were thwarted"
Antonym: successful (indirect, via unsuccessful)
Noun defeated has 1 sense
- defeated, discomfited - people who are defeated; "the Romans had no pity for the defeated"
--1 is a kind of people
Verb defeat has 2 senses
- get the better of, overcome, defeat - win a victory over; "You must overcome all difficulties"; "defeat your enemies"; "He overcame his shyness"; "She conquered here fear of mice"; "He overcame his infirmity"; "Her anger got the better of her and she blew up"
The fighter managed to defeat his opponent
- kill, shoot down, defeat, vote down, vote out - thwart the passage of; "kill a motion"; "he shot down the student's proposal"
--2 is one way to veto, blackball, negative
Somebody ----s something