Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun speech has 8 senses
- address, speech - the act of delivering a formal spoken communication to an audience; "he listened to an address on minor Roman poets"
--1 is a kind of speech act
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
- speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication - (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
--2 is a kind of auditory communication
--2 has particulars:
- speech - something spoken; "he could hear them uttering merry speeches"
--3 is a kind of utterance, vocalization
- speech - the exchange of spoken words; "they were perfectly comfortable together without speech"
--4 is a kind of speaking, speech production
- manner of speaking, speech, delivery - your characteristic style or manner of expressing yourself orally; "his manner of speaking was quite abrupt"; "her speech was barren of southernisms"; "I detected a slight accent in his speech"
--5 is a kind of expressive style, style
--5 is a part of paralanguage, paralinguistic communication
--5 has particulars:
- lecture, speech, talking to - a lengthy rebuke; "a good lecture was my father's idea of discipline"; "the teacher gave him a talking to"
--6 is a kind of rebuke, reproof, reproval, reprehension, reprimand
--6 has particulars: sermon, preaching; curtain lecture
- actor's line, speech, words - words making up the dialogue of a play; "the actor forgot his speech"
--7 is a kind of line
--7 is a part of dialogue, dialog
--7 has particulars: aside; cue; monologue; soliloquy; throwaway
- language, speech - the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
--8 is a kind of faculty, mental faculty, module
--8 has parts: lexis; vocabulary, lexicon, mental lexicon