Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun language has 6 senses
- language, linguistic communication - a systematic means of communicating by the use of sounds or conventional symbols; "he taught foreign languages"; "the language introduced is standard throughout the text"; "the speed with which a program can be executed depends on the language in which it is written"
--1 is a kind of communication
--1 has particulars:
- speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication - (language) communication by word of mouth; "his speech was garbled"; "he uttered harsh language"; "he recorded the spoken language of the streets"
--2 is a kind of auditory communication
--2 has particulars:
- terminology, nomenclature, language - a system of words used in a particular discipline; "legal terminology"; "the language of sociology"
--3 is a kind of word
--3 has particulars: markup language; toponymy, toponomy
- linguistic process, language - the cognitive processes involved in producing and understanding linguistic communication; "he didn't have the language to express his feelings"
--4 is a kind of higher cognitive process
--4 has particulars: reading
- language, speech - the mental faculty or power of vocal communication; "language sets homo sapiens apart from all other animals"
--5 is a kind of faculty, mental faculty, module
--5 has parts: lexis; vocabulary, lexicon, mental lexicon
- lyric, words, language - the text of a popular song or musical-comedy number; "his compositions always started with the lyrics"; "he wrote both words and music"; "the song uses colloquial language"
--6 is a kind of text, textual matter
--6 is a part of song
--6 has particulars: love lyric