Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun style has 9 senses
- style - a particular kind (as to appearance); "this style of shoe is in demand"
--1 is a kind of kind, sort, form, variety
- manner, mode, style, way, fashion - how something is done or how it happens; "her dignified manner"; "his rapid manner of talking"; "their nomadic mode of existence"; "in the characteristic New York style"; "a lonely way of life"; "in an abrasive fashion"
--2 is a kind of property
--2 has particulars:
- expressive style, style - a way of expressing something (in language or art or music etc.) that is characteristic of a particular person or group of people or period; "all the reporters were expected to adopt the style of the newspaper"
--3 is a kind of communication
--3 has particulars:
| ||allegory; analysis; bathos; black humor, black humour; Congorism; device; eloquence, fluency; euphuism; formulation, expression; grandiosity, magniloquence, grandiloquence, rhetoric; headlinese; jargon; journalese; legalese; manner of speaking, speech, delivery; music genre, musical genre, genre, musical style; officialese; pathos; prose; rhetoric; self-expression; sesquipedality; terseness; vein; verboseness, verbosity; writing style, literary genre, genre; poetry|
- dash, elan, flair, panache, style - distinctive and stylish elegance; "he wooed her with the confident dash of a cavalry officer"
--4 is a kind of elegance
- vogue, trend, style - the popular taste at a given time; "leather is the latest vogue"; "he followed current trends"; "the 1920s had a style of their own"
--5 is a kind of taste, appreciation, discernment, perceptiveness
--5 has particulars: New Look; fashion; bandwagon
- style - (botany) the narrow elongated part of the pistil between the ovary and the stigma
--6 is a kind of reproductive structure
--6 is a part of pistil
--6 has part: stigma
--6 has particulars: stylopodium
- style - editorial directions to be followed in spelling and punctuation and capitalization and typographical display
--7 is a kind of direction, instruction
- stylus, style - a pointed tool for writing or drawing or engraving; "he drew the design on the stencil with a steel stylus"
--8 is a kind of tool
- style - a slender bristlelike or tubular process; "a cartilaginous style"
--9 is a kind of process, outgrowth, appendage
--9 has particulars: stylet