Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective superior has 7 senses
- superior - of high or superior quality or performance; "superior wisdom derived from experience"; "superior math students"
Antonyms: inferior, bad, base, bum, cheap, cheesy, chintzy, crummy, punk, sleazy, tinny, bush-league, bush, cardboard, flimsy, cheapjack, shoddy, tawdry, coarse, common, coarsened, commercial, deplorable, execrable, miserable, woeful, wretched, less, low-grade, mediocre, poor, second-rate, ropey, ropy, scrawny, scrubby, stunted, second-class, utility, utility-grade, third-rate
- superior - of or characteristic of high rank or importance; "a superior officer"
Antonyms: inferior, humble, low, lowly, modest, small, indifferent, less, lower, low-level, middle-level, outclassed
- superior - (sometimes followed by `to') not subject to or influenced by; "overcome by a superior opponent"; "trust magnates who felt themselves superior to law"
Antonyms: subordinate, low-level (indirect, via dominant)
- superscript, superior - written or printed above and to one side of another character
- superior - having an orbit farther from the sun than the Earth's orbit; "Mars and Jupiter are the closest in of the superior planets"
- ranking, superior, higher-ranking - having a higher rank; "superior officer"
Antonym: junior (indirect, via senior)
- superior - (often followed by `to') above being affected or influenced by; "he is superior to fear"; "an ignited firework proceeds superior to circumstances until its blazing vitality fades"
Antonym: affected (indirect, via unaffected)
Noun superior has 6 senses
- superior, higher-up, superordinate - one of greater rank or station or quality
--1 is a kind of leader
--1 has particulars: god; supervisor
- superior - the head of a religious community
--2 is a kind of religious
--2 has particulars:
- victor, master, superior - a combatant who is able to defeat rivals
--3 is a kind of combatant, battler, belligerent, fighter, scrapper
--3 has particulars: conqueror, vanquisher
- Lake Superior, Superior - the largest freshwater lake in the world; the deepest of the Great Lakes
--4 is a kind of lake
--4 is a part of Great Lakes
- Superior - a town in northwest Wisconsin on Lake Superior across from Duluth
--5 is a kind of town
--5 is a part of Wisconsin, Badger State, WI
- superscript, superior - a character or symbol set or printed or written above and immediately to one side of another character
--6 is a kind of character, grapheme, graphic symbol