Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun supporter has 5 senses
- supporter, protagonist, champion, admirer, booster, friend - a person who backs a politician or a team etc.; "all their supporters came out for the game"; "they are friends of the library"
--1 is a kind of advocate, advocator, proponent, exponent
--1 has particulars:
| ||anglophile, anglophil; believer, truster; Boswell; cheerleader; Confederate; enthusiast, partisan, partizan; Francophile, Francophil; free trader; functionalist; Jacobite; loyalist, stalwart; New Dealer; philhellene, philhellenist, Graecophile; pillar, mainstay; Roundhead; seconder; Shavian; subscriber, endorser, indorser, ratifier; sympathizer, sympathiser, well-wisher; toaster, wassailer; upholder, maintainer, sustainer; voucher, verifier; Whig|
- patron, sponsor, supporter - someone who supports or champions something
--2 is a kind of benefactor, helper
--2 has particulars:
- assistant, helper, help, supporter - a person who contributes to the fulfillment of a need or furtherance of an effort or purpose; "my invaluable assistant"; "they hired additional help to finish the work"
--3 is a kind of worker
--3 has particulars:
| ||coadjutor; accomplice, confederate; aide, auxiliary; attendant, attender, tender; dental assistant; deputy, lieutenant; dresser, actor's assistant; event planner; facilitator; girl Friday; hatchet man, enforcer; instrument, pawn, cat's-paw; labor coach, monitrice; underboss; mannequin, manikin, mannikin, manakin, fashion model, model; model, poser; paraprofessional; powder monkey; prompter, theater prompter; right-hand man, chief assistant, man Friday; secretary, secretarial assistant; sidesman; subordinate, subsidiary, underling, foot soldier; water boy, waterer; whipper-in|
- garter, supporter - a band (usually elastic) worn around the leg to hold up a stocking (or around the arm to hold up a sleeve)
--4 is a kind of band
- athletic supporter, supporter, suspensor, jockstrap, jock - a support for the genitals worn by men engaging in strenuous exercise
--5 is a kind of protective garment