Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun decrease has 4 senses
- decrease, lessening, drop-off - a change downward; "there was a decrease in his temperature as the fever subsided"; "there was a sharp drop-off in sales"
--1 is a kind of change, alteration, modification
--1 has particulars:
- decrease, decrement - a process of becoming smaller or shorter
--2 is a kind of process
Antonyms: increase, increment, growth
--2 has particulars:
- decrease, decrement - the amount by which something decreases
--3 is a kind of amount
Antonyms: increase, increment
--3 has particulars: drop, dip, fall, free fall; shrinkage
- decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down - the act of decreasing or reducing something
--4 is a kind of change of magnitude
Antonyms: increase, step-up
--4 has particulars:
| ||cut; moderation; lowering; cutback; devaluation; devitalization, devitalisation; extenuation, mitigation, palliation; easing, easement, alleviation, relief; de-escalation; minimization, minimisation; depletion; shortening; shrinking; subtraction, deduction; deflation; discount, price reduction, deduction; rollback; weakening; depreciation; contraction; reverse split, reverse stock split, split down; amortization, amortisation; declassification; tax shelter, shelter; tax credit|
Verb decrease has 2 senses
- decrease, diminish, lessen, fall - decrease in size, extent, or range; "The amount of homework decreased towards the end of the semester"; "The cabin pressure fell dramatically"; "her weight fall to under a hundred pounds"; "his voice fell to a whisper"
--1 is one way to change magnitude
- decrease, lessen, minify - make smaller; "He decreased his staff"
--2 is one way to change, alter, modify
Somebody ----s something
Something ----s something