Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun pretence has 5 senses
- pretension, pretense, pretence - a false or unsupportable quality
--1 is a kind of artificiality
- guise, pretense, pretence, pretext - an artful or simulated semblance; "under the guise of friendship he betrayed them"
--2 is a kind of semblance, gloss, color, colour
- pretense, pretence, feigning, dissembling - pretending with intention to deceive
--3 is a kind of misrepresentation, deceit, deception
--3 has particulars:
- pretense, pretence, make-believe - imaginative intellectual play
--4 is a kind of imagination, imaging, imagery, mental imagery
- pretense, pretence, pretending, simulation, feigning - the act of giving a false appearance; "his conformity was only pretending"
--5 is a kind of deception, deceit, dissembling, dissimulation
--5 has particulars: