Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun account has 10 senses
- account, business relationship - a formal contractual relationship established to provide for regular banking or brokerage or business services; "he asked to see the executive who handled his account"
--1 is a kind of relationship
--1 has particulars: brokerage account; bank account; short account
- report, account - the act of informing by verbal report; "he heard reports that they were causing trouble"; "by all accounts they were a happy couple"
--2 is a kind of informing, making known
--2 has particulars:
- history, account, chronicle, story - a record or narrative description of past events; "a history of France"; "he gave an inaccurate account of the plot to kill the president"; "the story of exposure to lead"
--3 is a kind of record
--3 has particulars:
- report, news report, story, account, write up - a short account of the news; "the report of his speech"; "the story was on the 11 o'clock news"; "the account of his speech that was given on the evening news made the governor furious"
--4 is a kind of news
--4 has particulars:
- account, accounting, account statement - a statement of recent transactions and the resulting balance; "they send me an accounting every month"
--5 is a kind of statement, financial statement
--5 has parts: balance
--5 has particulars:
- explanation, account - a statement that makes something comprehensible by describing the relevant structure or operation or circumstances etc.; "the explanation was very simple"; "I expected a brief account"
--6 is a kind of statement
--6 has parts: explicandum, explanandum; explanans
--6 has particulars:
- bill, account, invoice - an itemized statement of money owed for goods shipped or services rendered; "he paid his bill and left"; "send me an account of what I owe"
--7 is a kind of statement, financial statement
--7 has particulars:
- score, account - grounds; "don't do it on my account"; "the paper was rejected on account of its length"; "he tried to blame the victim but his success on that score was doubtful"
--8 is a kind of reason, ground
- account - importance or value; "a person of considerable account"; "he predicted that although it is of small account now it will rapidly increase in importance"
--9 is a kind of importance
- account - the quality of taking advantage; "she turned her writing skills to good account"
--10 is a kind of profit, gain