Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun reason has 6 senses
- reason, ground - a rational motive for a belief or action; "the reason that war was declared"; "the grounds for their declaration"
--1 is a kind of rational motive
--1 has particulars: occasion; score, account; why, wherefore
- reason - an explanation of the cause of some phenomenon; "the reason a steady state was never reached was that the back pressure built up too slowly"
--2 is a kind of explanation, account
- reason, understanding, intellect - the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination; "we are told that man is endowed with reason and capable of distinguishing good from evil"
--3 is a kind of faculty, mental faculty, module
- rationality, reason, reasonableness - the state of having good sense and sound judgment; "his rationality may have been impaired"; "he had to rely less on reason than on rousing their emotions"
--4 is a kind of sanity, saneness
- cause, reason, grounds - a justification for something existing or happening; "he had no cause to complain"; "they had good reason to rejoice"
--5 is a kind of justification
- reason - a fact that logically justifies some premise or conclusion; "there is reason to believe he is lying"
--6 is a kind of fact
--6 has particulars: indication; contraindication