Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun variety has 6 senses
- assortment, mixture, mixed bag, miscellany, miscellanea, variety, salmagundi, smorgasbord, potpourri, motley - a collection containing a variety of sorts of things; "a great assortment of cars was on display"; "he had a variety of disorders"; "a veritable smorgasbord of religions"
--1 is a kind of collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
--1 has particulars:
| ||grab bag; witches' brew, witches' broth, witch's brew; range; selection; odds and ends, oddments, melange, farrago, ragbag, hodgepodge, mishmash, mingle-mangle, hotchpotch, omnium-gatherum; alphabet soup; sampler|
- diverseness, diversity, multifariousness, variety - noticeable heterogeneity; "a diversity of possibilities"; "the range and variety of his work is amazing"
--2 is a kind of heterogeneity, heterogeneousness
--2 has particulars: biodiversity
- variety - (biology) a taxonomic category consisting of members of a species that differe from others of the same species in minor but heritable characteristics; "varieties are frequently recognized in botany"
--3 is a kind of taxonomic group, taxonomic category, taxon
--3 is a part of species
--3 has particulars: breed, strain, stock; cultivar
- variety show, variety - a show consisting of a series of short unrelated performances
--4 is a kind of show
--4 has particulars: revue, review; vaudeville, music hall
- kind, sort, form, variety - a category of things distinguished by some common characteristic or quality; "sculpture is a form of art"; "what kinds of desserts are there?"
--5 is a kind of category
--5 has particulars:
- variety, change - a difference that is usually pleasant; "he goes to France for variety"; "it is a refreshing change to meet a woman mechanic"
--6 is a kind of difference