Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun difference has 5 senses
- difference - the quality of being unlike or dissimilar; "there are many differences between jazz and rock"
--1 is a kind of quality
--1 has particulars:
- deviation, divergence, departure, difference - a variation that deviates from the standard or norm; "the deviation from the mean"
--2 is a kind of variation, fluctuation
--2 has particulars:
- dispute, difference, difference of opinion, conflict - a disagreement or argument about something important; "he had a dispute with his wife"; "there were irreconcilable differences"; "the familiar conflict between Republicans and Democrats"
--3 is a kind of disagreement
--3 has particulars:
| ||collision; controversy, contention, contestation, disputation, disceptation, tilt, argument, arguing; quarrel, wrangle, row, words, run-in, dustup|
- difference - a significant change; "the difference in her is amazing"; "his support made a real difference"
--4 is a kind of change
- remainder, difference - the number that remains after subtraction; the number that when added to the subtrahend gives the minuend
--5 is a kind of number
--5 has particulars: balance