Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun stage has 8 senses
- phase, stage - any distinct time period in a sequence of events; "we are in a transitional stage in which many former ideas must be revised or rejected"
--1 is a kind of time period, period of time, period
--1 has particulars:
- degree, level, stage, point - a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process; "a remarkable degree of frankness"; "at what stage are the social sciences?"
--2 is a kind of state
--2 has particulars:
| ||ladder; acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative, top; extent; resultant, end point; standard of living, standard of life; plane; state of the art; ultimacy, ultimateness; quickening; climax|
- stage - a large platform on which people can stand and can be seen by an audience; "he clambered up onto the stage and got the actors to help him into the box"
--3 is a kind of platform
--3 is a part of theater, theatre, house
--3 has parts: stage right, right stage; stage left, left stage
--3 has particulars:
- stage - the theater as a profession (usually `the stage'); "an early movie simply showed a long kiss by two actors of the contemporary stage"
--4 is a kind of dramaturgy, dramatic art, dramatics, theater, theatre
- stage - any scene regarded as a setting for exhibiting or doing something; "All the world's a stage"--Shakespeare; "it set the stage for peaceful negotiations"
--5 is a kind of scene
- stagecoach, stage - a large coach-and-four formerly used to carry passengers and mail on regular routes between towns; "we went out of town together by stage about ten or twelve miles"
--6 is a kind of coach, four-in-hand, coach-and-four
- stage, leg - a section or portion of a journey or course; "then we embarked on the second stage of our Caribbean cruise"
--7 is a kind of travel, traveling, travelling
--7 is a part of journey, journeying
--7 has particulars: fare-stage
- stage, microscope stage - a small platform on a microscope where the specimen is mounted for examination
--8 is a kind of platform
Verb stage has 2 senses
- stage, present, represent - perform (a play), especially on a stage; "we are going to stage `Othello'"
--1 is one way to re-create
Did he stage his major works over a short period of time?
- stage, bring about, arrange - plan, organize, and carry out (an event)
--2 is one way to initiate, pioneer
Somebody ----s something