Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun degree has 7 senses
- degree, grade, level - a position on a scale of intensity or amount or quality; "a moderate degree of intelligence"; "a high level of care is required"; "it is all a matter of degree"
--1 is a kind of magnitude
--1 has particulars:
- degree, level, stage, point - a specific identifiable position in a continuum or series or especially in a process; "a remarkable degree of frankness"; "at what stage are the social sciences?"
--2 is a kind of state
--2 has particulars:
| ||ladder; acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative, top; extent; resultant, end point; standard of living, standard of life; plane; state of the art; ultimacy, ultimateness; quickening; climax|
- academic degree, degree - an award conferred by a college or university signifying that the recipient has satisfactorily completed a course of study; "he earned his degree at Princeton summa cum laude"
--3 is a kind of award, accolade, honor, honour, laurels; qualification, makings
--3 has particulars:
- degree - a unit of temperature on a specified scale; "the game was played in spite of the 40-degree temperature"
--4 is a kind of temperature unit
--4 has particulars:
- degree, arcdegree - a measure for arcs and angles; "there are 360 degrees in a circle"
--5 is a kind of angular unit
--5 is a part of oxtant; sextant; quadrant, right angle
--5 has parts: minute, arcminute, minute of arc
- degree - the highest power of a term or variable
--6 is a kind of exponent, power, index
--6 has particulars: degree of a term; degree of a polynomial; first degree
- degree - the seriousness of something (e.g., a burn or crime); "murder in the second degree"; "a second degree burn"
--7 is a kind of magnitude