Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun elevation has 8 senses
- elevation, lift, raising - the event of something being raised upward; "an elevation of the temperature in the afternoon"; "a raising of the land resulting from volcanic activity"
--1 is a kind of rise, rising, ascent, ascension
- acme, height, elevation, peak, pinnacle, summit, superlative, top - the highest level or degree attainable; "his landscapes were deemed the acme of beauty"; "the artist's gifts are at their acme"; "at the height of her career"; "the peak of perfection"; "summer was at its peak"; "...catapulted Einstein to the pinnacle of fame"; "the summit of his ambition"; "so many highest superlatives achieved by man"; "at the top of his profession"
--2 is a kind of degree, level, stage, point
- elevation, EL, altitude, ALT - angular distance above the horizon (especially of a celestial object)
--3 is a kind of angular position
- natural elevation, elevation - a raised or elevated geological formation
--4 is a kind of geological formation, formation
--4 has parts: slope, incline, side
--4 has particulars:
- elevation - distance of something above a reference point (such as sea level); "there was snow at the higher elevations"
--5 is a kind of distance
--5 has particulars:
- elevation - (ballet) the height of a dancer's leap or jump; "a dancer of exceptional elevation"
--6 is a kind of leap
- elevation - drawing of an exterior of a structure
--7 is a kind of plan, architectural plan
- aggrandizement, aggrandisement, elevation - the act of increasing the wealth or prestige or power or scope of something; "the aggrandizement of the king"; "his elevation to cardinal"
--8 is a kind of increase, step-up
--8 has particulars: self-aggrandizement, self-aggrandisement, ego trip