Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun reference has 9 senses
- mention, reference - a remark that calls attention to something or someone; "she made frequent mention of her promotion"; "there was no mention of it"; "the speaker made several references to his wife"
--1 is a kind of remark, comment
--1 has particulars: allusion; retrospection; name-dropping
- citation, acknowledgment, credit, reference, mention, quotation - a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"
--2 is a kind of note, annotation, notation
--2 has particulars: photo credit; cross-reference, cross-index
- reference point, point of reference, reference - an indicator that orients you generally; "it is used as a reference for comparing the heating and the electrical energy involved"
--3 is a kind of indicator
--3 has particulars:
- reference book, reference, reference work, book of facts - a book to which you can refer for authoritative facts; "he contributed articles to the basic reference work on that topic"
--4 is a kind of book
--4 has particulars:
- character, reference, character reference - a formal recommendation by a former employer to a potential future employer describing the person's qualifications and dependability; "requests for character references are all to often answered evasively"
--5 is a kind of recommendation, testimonial, good word
- reference, denotation, extension - the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to; "the extension of `satellite of Mars' is the set containing only Demos and Phobos"
--6 is a kind of meaning, substance
- reference, consultation - the act of referring or consulting; "reference to an encyclopedia produced the answer"
--7 is a kind of action
- reference, source - a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to; "he carried an armful of references back to his desk"; "he spent hours looking for the source of that quotation"
--8 is a kind of publication
- reference - the relation between a word or phrase and the object or idea it refers to; "he argued that reference is a consequence of conditioned reflexes"
--9 is a kind of meaning, substance
Verb reference has 1 sense
- reference, cite - refer to; "he referenced his colleagues' work"
--1 is one way to write, compose, pen, indite
Did he reference his major works over a short period of time?