Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun source has 9 senses
- beginning, origin, root, rootage, source - the place where something begins, where it springs into being; "the Italian beginning of the Renaissance"; "Jupiter was the origin of the radiation"; "Pittsburgh is the source of the Ohio River"; "communism's Russian root"
--1 is a kind of point
--1 has particulars:
- informant, source - a person who supplies information
--2 is a kind of communicator
--2 has particulars:
- reference, source - a publication (or a passage from a publication) that is referred to; "he carried an armful of references back to his desk"; "he spent hours looking for the source of that quotation"
--3 is a kind of publication
- source - a document (or organization) from which information is obtained; "the reporter had two sources for the story"
--4 is a kind of document, written document, papers
--4 has particulars: source materials; well, wellspring, fountainhead
- source - a facility where something is available
--5 is a kind of facility, installation
--5 has particulars: Golconda; goldmine, gold mine
- source, seed, germ - anything that provides inspiration for later work
--6 is a kind of inspiration
--6 has particulars: taproot; muse
- generator, source, author - someone who originates or causes or initiates something; "he was the generator of several complaints"
--7 is a kind of maker, shaper
--7 has particulars: coiner
- source - (technology) a process by which energy or a substance enters a system; "a heat source"; "a source of carbon dioxide"
--8 is a kind of natural process, natural action, action, activity
- reservoir, source - anything (a person or animal or plant or substance) in which an infectious agent normally lives and multiplies; "an infectious agent depends on a reservoir for its survival"
--9 is a kind of thing