Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Adjective standard has 5 senses
- standard - conforming to or constituting a standard of measurement or value; or of the usual or regularized or accepted kind; "windows of standard width"; "standard sizes"; "the standard fixtures"; "standard brands"; "standard operating procedure"
Antonyms: nonstandard, deficient, inferior, substandard, nonnormative
- standard - commonly used or supplied; "standard procedure"; "standard car equipment"
Antonym: uncommon (indirect, via common)
- standard - established or widely recognized as a model of authority or excellence; "a standard reference work"
- standard, received - conforming to the established language usage of educated native speakers; "standard English" (American); "received standard English is sometimes called the King's English" (British)
Antonyms: nonstandard, bad, unacceptable, unaccepted
- standard, stock - regularly and widely used or sold; "a standard size"; "a stock item"
Antonym: irregular (indirect, via regular)
Noun standard has 6 senses
- standard, criterion, measure, touchstone - a basis for comparison; a reference point against which other things can be evaluated; "they set the measure for all subsequent work"
--1 is a kind of reference point, point of reference, reference
--1 has particulars:
- criterion, standard - the ideal in terms of which something can be judged; "they live by the standards of their community"
--2 is a kind of ideal
--2 has particulars: control condition, control; design criteria
- standard - a board measure = 1980 board feet
--3 is a kind of volume unit, capacity unit, capacity measure, cubage unit, cubic measure, cubic content unit, displacement unit, cubature unit
- standard, monetary standard - the value behind the money in a monetary system
--4 is a kind of value
--4 has particulars: gold standard; silver standard; bimetallism
- standard - an upright pole or beam (especially one used as a support); "distance was marked by standards every mile"; "lamps supported on standards provided illumination"
--5 is a kind of post
- standard - any distinctive flag
--6 is a kind of flag
--6 has particulars: oriflamme