Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun program has 8 senses
- program, programme - a system of projects or services intended to meet a public need; "he proposed an elaborate program of public works"; "working mothers rely on the day care program"
--1 is a kind of system, system of rules
--1 has particulars:
- plan, program, programme - a series of steps to be carried out or goals to be accomplished; "they drew up a six-step plan"; "they discussed plans for a new bond issue"
--2 is a kind of idea, thought
--2 has particulars:
| ||audit program, audit programme; outline, schema, scheme; master plan; blueprint, design, pattern; plan of action; regimen, regime; project, projection; agenda, docket, schedule; pension plan, pension account, retirement plan, retirement savings plan, retirement savings account, retirement account, retirement program; employee savings plan; road map, guideline; stock purchase plan; budget|
- program, programme, computer program, computer programme - (computer science) a sequence of instructions that a computer can interpret and execute; "the program required several hundred lines of code"
--3 is a kind of software, software system, software package, package
--3 has parts:
--3 has particulars:
| ||anti-virus program; application, application program, applications programme; loop; malevolent program; patch; assembler, assembly program; checking program; compiler, compiling program; debugger; interface, user interface; interpreter, interpretive program; job control; library program; monitor program, monitoring program; object program, target program; source program; parser; relocatable program; reusable program; search engine; self-adapting program; spider, wanderer; spreadsheet; supervisory program, supervisor, executive program; syntax checker; system program, systems program, systems software; translator, translating program; utility program, utility, service program; LISP program; FORTRAN program; C program|
- course of study, program, programme, curriculum, syllabus - an integrated course of academic studies; "he was admitted to a new program at the university"
--4 is a kind of information, info
--4 has parts: course of lectures
--4 has particulars:
- broadcast, program, programme - a radio or television show; "did you see his program last night?"
--5 is a kind of show
--5 has particulars:
| ||sitcom; news program, news show, news; rerun; talk show, chat show; television program, TV program, television show, TV show; game show, giveaway; serial, series; episode, installment, instalment; sustaining program|
- program, programme - a performance (or series of performances) at a public presentation; "the program lasted more than two hours"
--6 is a kind of performance
--6 has particulars: bill
- platform, political platform, political program, program - a document stating the aims and principles of a political party; "their candidate simply ignored the party platform"; "they won the election even though they offered no positive program"
--7 is a kind of document, written document, papers
--7 has parts: plank
- program, programme - an announcement of the events that will occur as part of a theatrical or sporting event; "you can't tell the players without a program"
--8 is a kind of announcement, promulgation
--8 has particulars: playbill; racecard