Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun preparation has 8 senses
- preparation, readying - the activity of putting or setting in order in advance of some act or purpose; "preparations for the ceremony had begun"
--1 is a kind of activity
--1 has particulars:
- formulation, preparation - a substance prepared according to a formula
--2 is a kind of compound, chemical compound
--2 has particulars:
- planning, preparation, provision - the cognitive process of thinking about what you will do in the event of something happening; "his planning for retirement was hindered by several uncertainties"
--3 is a kind of thinking, thought, cerebration, intellection, mentation
--3 has particulars:
- readiness, preparedness, preparation - the state of having been made ready or prepared for use or action (especially military action); "putting them in readiness"; "their preparation was more than adequate"
--4 is a kind of state
--4 has particulars: ready; alert, qui vive
- preparation - (music) a note that produces a dissonant chord is first heard in a consonant chord; "the resolution of one dissonance is often the preparation for another disonance"
--5 is a kind of harmony, musical harmony
- training, preparation, grooming - activity leading to skilled behavior
--6 is a kind of activity
--6 has particulars:
- homework, prep, preparation - preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home)
--7 is a kind of school assignment, schoolwork
--7 is a part of
- cooking, cookery, preparation - the act of preparing something (as food) by the application of heat; "cooking can be a great art"; "people are needed who have experience in cookery"; "he left the preparation of meals to his wife"
--8 is a kind of change of state
--8 has parts: tenderization, tenderisation; seasoning
--8 has particulars: