Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun education has 6 senses
- education, instruction, teaching, pedagogy, educational activity - the activities of educating or instructing or teaching; activities that impart knowledge or skill; "he received no formal education"; "our instruction was carefully programmed"; "good teaching is seldom rewarded"
--1 is a kind of activity
--1 has parts:
--1 has particulars:
- education - knowledge acquired by learning and instruction; "it was clear that he had a very broad education"
--2 is a kind of content, cognitive content, mental object
--2 has particulars:
- education - the gradual process of acquiring knowledge; "education is a preparation for life"; "a girl's education was less important than a boy's"
--3 is a kind of learning, acquisition
--3 has particulars:
- education - the profession of teaching (especially at a school or college or university)
--4 is a kind of profession
--4 has particulars: teaching, instruction, pedagogy
- education, training, breeding - the result of good upbringing (especially knowledge of correct social behavior); "a woman of breeding and refinement"
--5 is a kind of upbringing
- Department of Education, Education Department, Education - the United States federal department that administers all federal programs dealing with education (including federal aid to educational institutions and students); created 1979
--6 is a kind of executive department