Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
| [an error occurred while processing this directive] |
Noun song has 6 senses
- song - a short musical composition with words; "a successful musical must have at least three good songs"
--1 is a kind of musical composition, opus, composition, piece, piece of music
--1 has parts: refrain, chorus; lyric, words, language
--1 has particulars:
| ||religious song; anthem; aria; ballad, lay; barcarole, barcarolle; ditty; dirge, coronach, lament, requiem, threnody; drinking song; folk song, folksong, folk ballad; lied; love song, love-song; lullaby, cradlesong, berceuse; oldie, golden oldie; partsong; roundelay; scolion, banquet song; serenade; torch song; work song|
- song - a distinctive or characteristic sound; "the song of bullets was in the air"; "the song of the wind"; "the wheels sang their song as the train rocketed ahead"
--2 is a kind of sound
- song, strain - the act of singing; "with a shout and a song they marched up to the gates"
--3 is a kind of vocal music
--3 has particulars: carol; lullaby, cradlesong; aria
- birdcall, call, birdsong, song - the characteristic sound produced by a bird; "a bird will not learn its song unless it hears it at an early age"
--4 is a kind of animal communication
- song - a very small sum; "he bought it for a song"
--5 is a kind of bargain, buy, steal
- Sung, Sung dynasty, Song, Song dynasty - the imperial dynasty of China from 960 to 1279; noted for art and literature and philosophy
--6 is a kind of dynasty