Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun tongue has 8 senses
- tongue, lingua, glossa, clapper - a mobile mass of muscular tissue covered with mucous membrane and located in the oral cavity
--1 is a kind of organ; articulator
--1 is a part of
--1 has parts: tastebud, taste bud, gustatory organ
- natural language, tongue - a human written or spoken language used by a community; opposed to e.g. a computer language
--2 is a kind of language, linguistic communication
--2 has particulars:
| ||mother tongue, maternal language, first language; tone language, tonal language; creole; Amerind, Amerindian language, American-Indian language, American Indian, Indian; Eskimo-Aleut, Eskimo-Aleut language; Sino-Tibetan, Sino-Tibetan language; Austro-Asiatic, Munda-Mon-Khmer; Austronesian, Austronesian language; Papuan, Papuan language; Khoisan, Khoisan language; Indo-European, Indo-European language, Indo-Hittite; Ural-Altaic; Basque; Elamitic, Elamite, Susian; Kassite, Cassite; Caucasian, Caucasian language; Dravidian, Dravidic, Dravidian language; Afroasiatic, Afro-Asiatic, Afroasiatic language, Afrasian, Afrasian language, Hamito-Semitic; Niger-Kordofanian, Niger-Kordofanian language; Nilo-Saharan, Nilo-Saharan language|
- tongue, knife - any long thin projection that is transient; "tongues of flame licked at the walls"; "rifles exploded quick knives of fire into the dark"
--3 is a kind of projection
- tongue - a manner of speaking; "he spoke with a thick tongue"; "she has a glib tongue"
--4 is a kind of manner of speaking, speech, delivery
--4 has particulars: sharp tongue
- spit, tongue - a narrow strip of land that juts out into the sea
--5 is a kind of cape, ness
--5 has substances: sand
- tongue - the tongue of certain animals used as meat
--6 is a kind of variety meat, organs
--6 has particulars: beef tongue; calf's tongue
- tongue - the flap of material under the laces of a shoe or boot
--7 is a kind of flap
--7 is a part of boot; shoe
- clapper, tongue - metal striker that hangs inside a bell and makes a sound by hitting the side
--8 is a kind of striker
--8 is a part of bell