Free dictionary and thesaurus of English. Definitions, synonyms, antonyms and more...
Hint: double-click any word to get it searched!
Noun effect has 6 senses
- consequence, effect, outcome, result, event, issue, upshot - a phenomenon that follows and is caused by some previous phenomenon; "the magnetic effect was greater when the rod was lengthwise"; "his decision had depressing consequences for business"; "he acted very wise after the event"
--1 is a kind of phenomenon
--1 has particulars:
| ||offspring, materialization, materialisation; aftereffect; aftermath, wake, backwash; bandwagon effect; brisance; butterfly effect; by-product, byproduct; change; coattails effect; Coriolis effect; dent; domino effect; harvest; impact, wallop; influence; knock-on effect; outgrowth, branch, offshoot, offset; product; placebo effect; position effect; repercussion, reverberation; response; side effect, fallout; spillover|
- impression, effect - an outward appearance; "he made a good impression"; "I wanted to create an impression of success"; "she retained that bold effect in her reproductions of the original painting"
--2 is a kind of appearance, visual aspect
--2 has particulars: figure; mark; tout ensemble
- effect, force - (of a law) having legal validity; "the law is still in effect"
--3 is a kind of validity, validness
- effect - a symptom caused by an illness or a drug; "the effects of sleep loss"; "the effect of the anesthetic"
--4 is a kind of symptom
--4 has particulars: aftereffect; bummer; side effect
- effect - an impression (especially one that is artificial or contrived); "he just did it for effect"
--5 is a kind of impression, feeling, belief, notion, opinion
--5 has particulars: sound effect; special effect
- effect, essence, burden, core, gist - the central meaning or theme of a speech or literary work
--6 is a kind of meaning, significance, signification, import